A never-before-seen and newly restored cut of Francis Ford Coppola’s spectacular cinematic masterpiece in a way which the director believes “looks better than it has ever looked and sounds better than it has ever sounded”.
Apocalypse Now was nominated for 8 Academy Awards® (including Best Picture) and won 2 Academy Award® for Best Cinematography and Best Sound, 2 BAFTAs for Best Direction and Best Supporting Actor and the Palme d’Or in Cannes. Starring Academy Award® winner Marlon Brando (1972, Best Actor, The Godfather), Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall (1983, Best Actor, Tender Mercies), Golden Globe® winner Martin Sheen (2001, Best Actor – TV Series, “The West Wing”), Academy Award® nominee Dennis Hopper (1986, Best Supporting Actor, Hoosiers), Academy Award® nominee Laurence Fishburne (1993, Best Actor, What’s Love Got to Do with It), and Academy Award® nominee Harrison Ford (1985, Best Actor, Witness), the film follows Army Captain Willard (Martin Sheen), a troubled man sent on a dangerous and mesmerizing odyssey into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade American colonel named Kurtz (Marlon Brando), who has succumbed to the horrors of war and barricaded himself in a remote outpost.
The best visual and sound technologies have been used to present Coppola’s true vision of the film: one that delivers deep, visceral visual and auditory impact. “The audience will be able to see, hear and feel this film how I always hoped it could be—from the first ‘bang’ to the final whimper” said the film-maker. All three versions of this film are available on this release including Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut, Apocalypse Now: Theatrical Cut, and Apocalypse Now Redux Extended Cut.
Restored from the original negative for the first time ever, Apocalypse Now Final Cut is Coppola’s most complete version of his multi-awarded classic. This is the first time the original negative has ever been scanned and over 11 months and 2,700 hours were spent on cleaning and restoring the film’s 300,173 frames. Brought to life through ultra-vivid picture quality with Dolby Vision®, delivering spectacular colours never before seen on a screen, with highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are 10 times darker. It has also been mixed in Dolby Atmos® to offer a truly immersive sound experience and it has been enhanced Meyer Sound Laboratories’ newly developed Sensual Sound™, a technology engineered to output audio below the limits of human hearing.
- Intro by Francis Ford Coppola
- Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola
- An Interview with John Milius
- A Conversation with Martin Sheen and Francis Ford Coppola
- “Fred Roos: Casting Apocalypse” Featurette
- The Mercury Theatre on the Air: Heart of Darkness – November 6, 1938
- “The Hollow Men” Featurette
- Monkey Sampan “Lost Scene”
- Additional Scenes
- “Destruction of the Kurtz Compound” End Credits
- “The Birth of 5.1 Sound” Featurette
- “Ghost Helicopter Flyover” Sound Effects Demonstration
- “The Synthesizer Soundtrack” Article by Bob Moog
- “A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
- “Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
- “The Final Mix” Featurette
- “2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola” Featurette
- “PBR Streetgang” Featurette
- “The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
- Disc Credits
- Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (with Optional Audio Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola)
- NEW: Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh
- NEW: Never-Before-Seen B-Roll Footage
- NEW: Apocalypse Now Dolby featurette (HD)
- NEW: A history of Apocalypse Now on Home Video (HD)
- John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Coppola Notes (Still Gallery)
- Storyboard Collection
- Photo Archive ▪ Unit Photography ▪ Mary Ellen Mark Photography o Marketing Archive ▪ 1979 Teaser Trailer ▪ 1979 Theatrical Trailer ▪ 1979 Radio Spots ▪ 1979 Theatrical Program ▪ Lobby Card and Press Kit Photos ▪ Poster Gallery ▪ Apocalypse Now Redux Trailer