James Lavelle played his first DJ set at 14, launched pioneering record label Mo'Wax at 18 and released the genre defining UNKLE album Psyence Fiction at 22. His phenomenally rapid rise seemed limitless, but it's only when you're going so fast that the wheels fall off.
The Man from Mo’Wax tells the remarkable story of one of the most enigmatic yet influential figures in contemporary British culture. Unearthed from over 700 hours of footage including exclusive personal archive spanning three decades, we get the rare opportunity to watch a boy become a man in the world of music. The result is an exhilarating, no holds-barred ride into the life of an extraordinary man and an equally extraordinary era, taking in some decidedly flawed decision-making (both personal and professional), Lavelle emerges as an innovative artist who thinks big and consistently overcomes adversity.
HMV Exclusive: PSYENCE FICTION EDITION
- Features 2 DVDs and a slipcase featuring exclusive version of The Man from Mo’Wax poster artwork
- Audio commentary by director Matthew Jones
- Audio commentary by producer M J McMahon
- The Mo’Wax Vaults: Extended interview with James Lavelle and DJ Shadow (68 mins, 2018)
- The Mo’Wax Vaults: The Lost Men from Unkle (2018): featurette on the early pre Psyence Fiction UNKLE and how DJ Shadow came into the fold
- The Mo’Wax Vaults: Interview Mix Tape (25 mins, 2018): extended interview mash-up with Joshua Homme, Futura, DJ Shadow, Ian Brown and more
- The Mo’Wax Vaults: Asthetic Origins (2018): designers Swifty and Ben Drury with artist Futura discuss the stories and methodology behind the Mo’Wax visual identity
- Theatrical and teaser trailers (2018)