Technology and sexuality meet in a head-on collision in Crash – director David Cronenberg’s controversial adaptation of writer J.G. Ballard’s hugely transgressive 1973 novel starring James Spader and Holly Hunter.
Spader stars as James Ballard, an advertising executive whose deviant sexual desires are awakened by a near fatal automobile accident with Dr Helen Remington (Hunter). Soon the pair, alongside Ballard’s wife Catherine (Deborah Kara Unger), are drawn into an underground world of car crash fetishism presided over by renegade scientist Vaughan (Elias Koteas). Danger, sex and death become entwined as eroticism and technology join together in a disturbing, deadly union.
Awarded the Special Jury Prize at the 1996 Cannes Film Festival for originality, daring and audacity, Crash remains an incredibly subversive and confrontational piece of cinema – Cronenberg himself describes it as “a dangerous film” – now newly refurbished in a stunning 4K restoration.
ULTRA HD 4K BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 4K restoration of the uncut NC-17 version from the original 35mm camera negative, supervised by writer-director David Cronenberg and director of photography Peter Suschitzky
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in High Dynamic Range
- 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary with film scholar Adrian Martin
- Cronenberg Challenge – new interview with director of photography Peter Suschitzky
- Mechanical Animals – new interview with executive producer Jeremy Thomas
- The Shore Thing – new interview with composer Howard Shore
- License to Drive – new interview with casting director Deirdre Bowen
- Archival ""Behind the Scenes"" featurette
- Archival interviews with David Cronenberg, J.G. Ballard and actors James Spader, Holly Hunter, Deborah Kara Unger and Elias Koteas
- Cronenberg: Concrete Cowboy – brand new video essay by Caelum Vatnsdal on Cronenberg’s use of Toronto as a filming location
- Original Trailers
- Fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Vanessa Morgan and Araceli Molina, alongside a reprinted excerpt from Cronenberg on Cronenberg
- Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx