Title number 012 in the Black Label range. This Limited Edition version includes a slipcase and a booklet
101 Films presents 1970s sci-fi classic Phase IV (1974), a gripping and philosophical cult classic that examines humanity’s place in the universe, releasing on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. Phase IV is the only feature film directed by legendary designer and filmmaker Saul Bass. This release includes his original ending, among a host of additional extras, including a bonus disc featuring the finest of the director’s short films. This limited edition version features special packaging, and a booklet with newly-commissioned writing on the history of ‘killer bug’ movies and the career of Saul Bass.
In a sealed lab in the Arizona desert, scientists James Lesko (Michael Murphy, Manhattan) and Dr. Ernest Hubbs (Nigel Davenport, A Man for All Seasons) search for answers to an evolutionary shift in the ant population; the development of a collective intelligence and cross-species hive mentality. With humanity under threat, the scientists are faced with the choice of either communicating with, or eradicating their antagonists.
Brand new extras
Saul Bass: Short Films (Disc 2)
- New HD restoration
- The Original Saul Bass ending (plus optional commentary)
- An Ant's Life: Contextualising Phase IV, a documentary on the film's influences
- Commentary with film historians Allan Bryce and Richard Holliss
- Limited Edition Booklet: includes Phase IV by Deborah Allison, and Adapt or Die: Killer Bug Cinema and Phase IV by Liam Hathaway
- The Searching Eye (1964)
- Why Man Creates (1968)
- Bass on Titles (1977)
- Notes on the Popular Arts (1978)
- The Solar Film (1980)
- Quest (1984) (new HD restoration)